What's your oldest US silver?

My oldest is a capped bust dime 1820 followed by two capped bust half dimes 1832.

3 Likes

1853 Half Dime

3 Likes

1898 Barber Half

Steve

3 Likes

1905 Barber dime on left is my oldest US silver

3 Likes

I totally hate to be a dick and I don’t even have a pic because I gave this coin away in a contest….but my oldest silver is an 1852 half dime. Found it in Twining Park in Monroe,WI about 7 years ago with my Explorer 2 wearing the X-12 coil. It was about 30 seconds after I accidentally broke the bracket for my in-line probe, and I was completely pissed and flustered. Dug a monster hole and I thought it was some kind of button or big rivet or something really deep. When I brushed it off and actually saw what it was I literally sat in the mud and stared for what must’ve been 5 minutes. I hung onto it for quite some time before giving it away in an “old coin contest” that I no longer run because of some seriously suspect activity. Anyway…it’s very tough to get to the mid 1800’s on ANY coin here in the upper Midwest just because it isn’t that old, relatively speaking. It makes those finds very few and far between!

3 Likes

Mine is an 1857 Half Dime. I almost didn’t dig it because it was giving a very shaky 17-18 on the Equinox, and it took me over an hour to get at it between a whole series of giant roots. Only reason I kept at it was because of how deep it was, continued to pinpoint really small, and it was at the site of the oldest known house in this county. Sadly, I knicked it with my digger trying to get it out.

4 Likes