Shovels

What shovels are you guys using? For the past few years I’ve been using the Predator Barracuda. It works well, but the T-Handle is sort of rough on the fingers so I wanted to try a D-Handle. I ordered the Spartan, which is identical to the Barracuda except for its a D instead of a T handle. Much more comfortable to use. While I was on their website, I saw another interesting shovel called the Phoenix. Its a D-handle with a rounded blade thats slightly wider than my other shovels. It digs a really nice plug in softer grassy ground, but doesn’t work as well as the others in hard packed or rocky soil.

I use a 31" T handle Lesche Sampson. Very rugged.

Steve

1 Like

I have the Spartan 56, I like it, though I wish it were a bit longer. I’ve considered lengthening it.

I still like my modified trenching shovel (took some of the angle ratio out of the blade to handle, handle is now straight with the blade instead of the stock 25* or so angle) too, and maybe one day can find an actual decent replacement handle for it, I broke the D-handle digging-up tree stumps/roots.

LOL, looks hokey as all get-out, but don’t care, won’t be anyone else out in the field to point and laugh at it. 48" tall and weighs no more than the Spartan.

1 Like

Nice. I have a homemade shovel too. Its the orange one on left in the picture below. Only problem with it is that it weighs nearly twice as much as the Predator shovels.

My hand digger is a Predator 75C.

Rattlehead, are those hose clamps holding a belt hook?

1 Like

Hah! Sort of. Those are Hip-Clips. It’s one of my goofy little inventions for belt carrying a long handled shovel.

You can see a better picture here:
https://www.MetalDetectingNWGA.com

1 Like

Nice addition Rattlehead. I don’t think I need something else dragging my pants down :joy:

Steve

1 Like

Thanks Steve! I gotta have at least one free hand to vape, drink or answer my phone. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Reason I ask, and maybe you’ve tried it, I hang mine handle down. It’s heavier on the blade end, which multiplies the pendulum “effect”.

I’d mentioned in an older post where I’d gave my field pouch/suspension rig a try with the addition of hanging the shovel off the back of the belt. I had to keep checking (by reaching behind my back) to make sure the shovel was still there, because I honestly couldn’t feel it.

1 Like

I use a cheap short shovel from walmart if I find something that I can’t dig out with it, I will use a backhoe to dig it out. I don’t need to carry a heavy shovel just to dig a few coins.

1 Like

I carried mine handle down for a while. You’re correct. It definitely eliminates the pendulum effect. My only concern with carrying it that way was that I tend to hunt rough terrain and was afraid I’d fall and have the sharp end jammed into my torso. So what I did was flip it back to blade down, and moved the belt clip further down on the shaft. I keep it at about 8" from the handle. This doesn’t completely eliminate the pendulum effect, but it cuts it way down. As long as you’re walking slowly its not even noticeable.

1 Like

I use the 31" Lesche Sampson and I will either hold it upside down like you all have been saying, or hold on my shoulder if my arm gets tired. At a lot of places I detect I only use a Lesche hand digger, but the shovel is nice for out of the way places like farms.

2 Likes

Much of the time I’ll just carry mine in my free hand, but when signals get farther apart, it is nice to hang it on my belt, if for nothing else just to get a few minutes break.

1 Like

Carry my Lesche in a hammer holder on my belt, bottom side uppards. Only the straight handled shovels will fit. The D-handle and T-handle shovels are hand carried.

1 Like

I use a 32" lesche Sampson in yards and parks that allow it. Also have the 18" for use where a longer length shovel would worry some people, and an older Predator shovel for fields because it has a much deeper blade. Think its similar to the current Barracuda, just a bit shorter in overall length and no serrations. Always prefer a shovel to a hand digger if its allowed

1 Like